Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Mechanics of the Blog

Dear Readers,

In this blog, I will be going through the first edition of On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin and pointing out "the eccentricities of Darwin" through his writing. As I read The Origin I was surprisingly amused by the way Darwin would explain himself. He is blunt and subtle, serious and sarcastic, he is slightly pompous and yet he relates to the "commoners". He is modest and somewhat unsure, and yet, he never fails to point out the infallibility of his theory.

Darwin deliberately sets up the first and last sentences of his chapters, and because of this, I will begin and end many posts discussing these. I will guide you through The Origin so that you may use this blog as both a source of amusement and practicality, so that if you should read the The Origin you will know what to look for in the text.

I will discuss about two chapters per post, and within a week, we will have gone through the book in its entirety. Hope you enjoy!

Gabriella

No comments:

Post a Comment